Tuesday, May 1, 2007

jimmy buffet- i should get into music pr

I went to the Jimmy Buffet concert last Wednesday, and it was amazing!!! As a lifelong Parrothead, I was ecstatic to finally get to see Jimmy live! It made me think that I should really consider a career in concert promotions. I think there could be some exciting perks associated with a musical PR career.

I must confess that I know absolutely nothing about music PR, but I really would like to find out more information. I'm sure some of the disadvantages include really long, crazy hours and a million little things to get done to contribute to the big main event. At the same time, I bet you can get some pretty fabulous tickets to some pretty incredible shows.

This is one of the things that I love most about PR- all the niches. There really is something for everyone. You can work in the music industry, you can do sports PR, and even health care to name a few. I know so many practitioners who are attracted to the health care field because they feel like they get to serve others and improve the quality of other's lives while doing something they love.

Of course there's also the fashion industry, a love of mine, where I bet a supply closet lurks filled with amazing product samples (or at least I dream it does). We can't overlook government and corporate PR as well, however droll they seem to me. I prefer agency world, but I understand the appeal of corporate PR. You can really put your heart and soul into the company and feel like you are making a difference in something you believe in. I think that same sentiment applies to nonprofits public relations as well.

With all that in mind, I assembled a quick list of few blogs I found interesting in some fields. Hopefully you will find them insightful as well.

For sports PR: Sport's PR and Marketing Ramblings from Joshua Milne and Karen's Public Relations Blog
For fashion: PR Couture
For nonprofit: NonprofitPR.com

No comments: