Sunday, March 18, 2007

it's all about the details and the big picture

I just got back from vacation in Las Vegas, and while I relaxed out there it reminded me of the press event I helped plan there this past summer. Nothing quite compares to planning a press event. I love it. I'm a detail person, but I like to see the big picture too. On all those personality tests where they ask you which one you prefer, I never know what to choose. I want both.

Planning a press event, or any event for that matter, takes lists and dates and schedules and a major coordination effort on the part of many people. When it finally comes to fruition, and you see all your hard work pay off, you know it was well worth the effort. That's partly why for me PR is such a rewarding career. You make it happen. I relish that sense of accomplishment I feel when the event ends, mainly because for those brief 30 seconds I forget I have 7 million other things that piled up, awaiting my attention.

I like that PR creates a balancing act between so much, between details and the big picture; between strict planning and flying by the seat of your pants. Versatility really appeals to me, and PR definitely never lacks in variety.

No comments: